Sunday, April 06, 2008

A SIGN OF SPRING?


Today we took a trip to Killdeer Lake, a place Heath and the kids had previously discovered. The weather was absolutely amazing so we loaded the kids and the Koda into the the Mower (my little car). A quick stop for lunch and we were on our way. When we got there two guys were already fishing catching Crappie but what really caught our attention was the loud noise coming from the end of the lake. I can not really describe the noise we heard and if you have never heard it you will never understand. The sound was a mix of a chirp and a grating noise that almost drove you nuts. It was deafening! We decided to go down the trail to the other end to check it out. As we started to head down the trail Hunter who is normally pretty active starts bouncing around and making these loud noises. I looked over my shoulder and told him to quiet down thinking he was just being Hunter. All the sudden he starts freaking out because he thinks something is in his pants! So there we are in the middle of this trail stripping his pants and shorts off trying to figure out what is in his pants. The only thing Heath could find was a little splinter stuck in his jeans. It had scared him so bad he was shaking!
After we determined that no spiders had crawled up Hunter's pants we headed on, the lure of the mysterious noise making him tempora
rily forget the horrible incident.
As we got to the other end the kids and Heath continued to the area of the lake the noise was coming from. as they got closer the noise seemed to die down.
Now notice I said Heath and the kids went further. I had tried to go but the massive amounts of little spiders at my feet as I walked through the grass did it for me. I decided to stay back in the dirt area where I could see them easily because I did not want to be the next one doing a weird dance stripping my pants off!
So I am repeating this as it was told to me. Heath said as they walked out on the marshy edge of the lake he could see thousands of frogs jumping frantica
lly away. Remember I said the noise was loud was almost deafening? So when I say thousands this was not an exaggeration and they were of all sizes. The kids were able to catch three of the little ones. Heather putting two in a cup of water and Hunter carrying his. They were bummed when I made them put them back though but I had to explain that they needed their water just like a fish did especially how hot it was. Heath also found some. He grabbed a large one that was almost the size of his hand until he realized on the walk back over to me to show it to me that it was in fact TWO frogs. The little guy on top had a death grip on the larger female and he wasn't letting go for nothing! I snapped a quick picture but she decided they needed some, um privacy, and started to hop away! Like two feet in the air with the male just hanging on! Well that caught the attention of Koda and now I think he is really obsessed! He sat in the lake for about twenty minutes looking for that frog and her clingy boyfriend!
So after all that excitement we decided (Heath and I) to walk a little more. The kids though were done, complaining of spiders and bugs and being tired so we headed back to the car and then home.

We did stop at the store for ice cream cones and water guns because what better things to do on a hot afternoon. The ice cream was quickly devoured and after I changed into a tank top due to the heat, we started our water fight! Everyone was soaked by the end even the dogs and not once was it cold! Everyone was a little glad for the cold water in the guns!
What a fun day! I do wish I had taken more and better pictures but the ones you see are actually from my phone. I found that I can take pictures wit
h my phone then email them to myself and I do not have to have software or a cable! NICE for days like today where I forgot the camera!!

Well happy SPRING may some come your way SOON!

6 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

What is it with the spammers lately? Shana just posted and her first comment was spam. They can't catch up with me, now having three blog sites plus a member of the HITW site. As soon as you described the noise, I knew what you were hearing. Now, what you need to do is go out there late in the evening just before dark and listen to them "croak", it is almost as peaceful as listening to the crickets! I miss the crickets! Again, I envy you guys and the weather, took my coffee on the deck this morning, jacket and all but it was a little nipply with the light breeze blwoing across the snow - but soon! You will want to keep an eye on those frogs, might be a good source later inthe year for a good dinner of "frog saddles". Just watch out for bugs and spiders getting into everyone's pants! Also, don't know if you have thought about it or not but "ticks", I hate ticks plus hey can make dogs and humans very sick. As much as the kids love to collect insects, they should have a ball. Sounds as if you had a good day outside and that is a good thing. Give the little ones a hug from us.

Stan Harrington said...

P.S. I can remember how proud Heather was when she come home from school after learning to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, might want to go to my new site and have her and Hunter watch the video, it may explain it a little more to them than just mere words. americanprofiles.blogspot.com

john r mclay said...

Fun adventure, no doubt. The lakes are frozen here, still. Streams are clearing, but the ice is 6" deep or better on the lakes. Found out about a lake not 5 minutes from our house Fish & Game has stocked with rainbow since '01. Will post if successful.
I hope to see some wood frogs, but don't expect quite the show you guys got.

real eyez said...

As for ticks, I remember them well as a child! First thing when you come inside from playing we had to strip down and mom would do a tick check! As for yesterday we thought it a bit early to worry until the drive home and Heath found one crawling on his arm. So as soon as we got home the kids were inspected! EEWWW!!! None found thank goodness!
As far as the frogs I was amazed. Heath and the kids have never seen anything like that. Not sure if it mating season or if they always make that noise!
I do not think I will have to worry about the kids and bugs after yesterday I think they are so afraid of them!
Let us know about the fishing and hopefully we will be posting next weekend about our Crappie fishing. (I just love that!) Although now we realize made one fatal mistake we did not bring our gear! We just might have to figure some way to get it....;)
As far as the spammers is there any way around them?

Stan Harrington said...

I like spam the best between two pieces of white bread, no dressing, just the meat and bread. As far as fishing gear, for your crappie fishing should I send the trolling rods or the halibut rods? I caught a crappie once, in Florida. At least, I think it was a crappie. Put up a great fight, took me 10 minutes or so to land him. I will tell you how to catch a lot of crappie, they are a school fish. Catch a crappie, run a hook through the dorsal fin and attached several feet of line to the hook and tie an inflated baloon on the end for a bouy and turn it loose. The fish will join the school, so all you have to do is follow the balooon and you will stay with the fish. It is an old trick I used when I commercial fished for them in the bayous.

Golden Granny said...

I'm sooo jealous! :) I did walk to the beach for the first time this winter/spring. I sat on a log and contemplated the world and remembered 6 years ago walking with Heather & Hunter in the "buggy". I wish things did'nt need to change. Oh well. We sat out on the front deck in the sun for an hour or so yesterday. Of course we had our coats and gloves on ! Darn!