Saturday, April 19, 2008



I am sorry I did not post these last night for those of you who were waiting, I do hope no sleep was lost over this! I was just to tired and had to adjust everyone of the 36 pictures and I barely could keep my eyes open.

The Game

I woke up yesterday kicking myself, the alcohol I had consumed the night before while not very much, it was taking its revenge on my head. I could not find any Aleeve to cure the throbbing but I knew I had to find something to cure it fast because where I was going was not the friendliest place for hangovers!
I found some stuff to cure the headache, I found that Doan's back and neck pain works just fine, drank some juice and ate some breakfast and I was feeling just fine! By the time I was dressed in my Husker gear I made it outside in time to hear my uncles teasing Heath for what he was wearing, ready to defend him I walked closer. He was insisting on wearing a BLUE t-shirt to the game and his Nebraska hat! Lets just say there are only FOUR colors you can wear to a game RED, WHITE, BLACK and GREY. If you were to wear any other color the problems could be endless. Finally my grandma came out and had found a shirt for him to wear so the boys would stop teasing him! Heath took it all well and it was really in fun but it is a glimpse of how serious these people take their football here.
Now we had decided to take the shuttle to the game so we would not have to worry about finding parking and then walking miles to get to the stadium. It was well worth the eight dollars each round trip we park in a mall parking lot and waited for the bus. This was my first real glimpse of the Husker fans. While we waited in line people who did not know each other chatted and talked about the game. When the bus did come no body pushed or shoved or complained and seats were offered up to older and pregnant people. We struck up a conversation with one couple because they had gone to Alaska for their honeymoon, Seward to be specific, and had loved it despite the rain and sea sickness. We chatted all the way to the stadium on a bus that could literally hold not one more person, not sure it if was legal but we sure did not give a damn!
We made there with a little time to spare and met up with my cousin Brandon and his girlfriend at the front gates. Had to stop and pose for the statue out front, and you know I could not even tell you what it was for! Out front they were selling all kinds of Husker stuff T-shirts, hats, blankets, seats anything you ever want the word Husker on, they had it! We slowly moved past the thickening sea of people and into the nice shade of the stadium. Now this was maybe noon and the temperatures were already in the sixties at least and the shade was starting to feel good. As you walked in you could hear the throb from the crowd above us and as we walked out from the underbelly of the stadium I was hit with several things at once. The sun was extremely bright reflecting off every shiny surface it possibly could making me very glad I had brought my glasses. The crowd was enormous! I mean no real way to describe to anyone the feeling of all those people unless one has been to an event with over 86,000 people. The energy was amazing, even if you weren't feeling it you were forced because it was all around you like a pulse through the crowd.
When people had describe it as the "sea of red" it had always made since but not the way it did right then!
We found our seats and watched the game. Now this was not an actual game but was good none the less! This was a match between the same same team to give the coaches their last glimpse at their team in action until the fall when the season actually starts. We had the Red and White teams, the Red ended up winning with like 24 points total. Not only did this give the coaches a preview of their team but it also gave the Husker fans the opportunity to check them out as well as the new coach. He was here before and this is his first year back as head coach and after the last year's season these fans are ready for him to turn the team around. I feel a little sorry for the guy and the pressure he has on his shoulders. These fans are going to want wins and will not be satisfied with anything else no matter how close!
Well I should get on with the pictures, I took over two hundred but mostly of all the same stuff so only 36 made it through the cut!

This is a Husker car that was sitting out in front of the stadium, I took this picture to show Hunter when I got home but it also shows the intensity of the fans.

This is in the stadium, and yes we felt The Power Of Red!

What a treat I go to go on the sidelines and get just a couple of really cool photos, that is until the REAL camera men stand in fron of you!
This is after the game this was just a red vein of people leaving.

Heath and I on the sidelines, my uncle Mike was taking the picture and what was cool was he even got the gates behind us!

This is the end of the game and they were leaving the field! I could have gotten autographs had I been a little more interested!

This was a little girl waiting in line with us for the Big RED Express.

This was the line of people waiting for the buss.

Heath told me to take a few of the Cheerleaders and we could have even got one with Heath posing with them but he declined, you know how he is! They were really nice though!

The end zone!

Now that a BIG screen! I mean the thing was really huge!

The sea of people outside the stadium.

The vendors outside.

My cousin in the black shirt and his girlfriend behind him and my uncle Mike in the red.

Heath on the bus ride, he does not DO pictures.

The girl to the left in the Black shirt and the guy holding the bar in the Grey shirt are the couple we had been talking to on the bus.

All the balloons are let go on the first touchdown, it was so cool to see all those balloons in the air. The kid in front of me did not think so though, he thought it was sad and a waste of good balloons!

All the boxes on the side!

The players on the field.

The crowd from my seat. The field looks far away from here but I could see the game really well.

Me posing at the statue. I did not know he was actually taking the picture or I wouldn't have gum out of my mouth!
The Red Cheerleaders!

Again the players, this picture is taken from my seat!

The scoreboard!

The Cheerleaders again!

A CORN HEAD!

HERBIE!

The band!

Some stupid guy getting kicked out of the game and trying to fight the cops! They ended up needing more and six were on scene by the time we went back in. Th guy in the left in the grey shirt almost got in trouble to. Not sure if he was defending or trying to start more crap! And this was a dry game!

The underside of the stadium...

and again.

The new head coach Bo Pelini administering the drug free pledge. I also got to take pictures of a future Kansas city player!

I loved the little girls in their cheer outfits! They looked so cute!

Larry the Cable Guy's booth but he was no where to be found and if he had been there I am told we would know because he signs hot dogs and throws them at the fans below. This was right behind me.

Another mascot, not sure of his name though!

Well that was the game. I came back home filled up on hot dogs, excitement and photos. I am now as red as the shirt I wore and I am waiting for the burning sensation to leave my face. The top temp was over eighty and the cool breeze felt amazing but the stadium burns just like if we had sat on a lake all day!
All in all it was a fabulous day and can not wait to go again...just have to figure out how to find tickets! This game was sold out and I was told the regular season was sold out a awhile ago! I just regret not taking the kids and hope they can go to the next one!

5 comments:

john r mclay said...

Good experience, yes? All those pictures leave me seeing red. Heath should have got with the cheerleaders for a snap shot. He might have gotten "carried away", though. Jealous? - yes - but, thanks for sharing the event.

real eyez said...

He figured you GUYS would like the shots! As far as seeing red you should see my arms and face!

Stan Harrington said...

I like cheerleaders! Sounds like a very hot, jam packed day at the park. Did the mass of humanity bother you? It seems strange to know that many people are going to be at a ballgame. Does everyone in Nebraska wear their hats backward? No wonder the sun gets into their eyes! I went to a Homer Mariner Football game once, there was almost thirty of us in the stands, cheerleaders were cute and hot dogs good. Sounds as if you had fun and taking ht3e bus was liley an advantage.

Princess Sarah said...

Great shots I loved them, how wonderful for you to get the chance to go to something like that. I wish we had a NFL team and all. I know we have the wold and all going, but its not NFL! Hope the burn goes away and you have a nice tan going! LOL

Stan Harrington said...

Watch out Erica, that football player standing directly behind youis going to try to grope you! You may be leading him on a bit, I also notice your hand is relatively close to the buttox of the other football player.