Tuesday, September 23, 2008

So we had a hard decision to make yesterday. In order to enroll Heather in the talent agency there was an upfront fee that was more than we were expecting. From the moment we got the ok they wanted answers and were pushing for us to sign with them last night.
If there was time to think about it and really figure out if we wanted to spend that much money one something she may loose interest in a week, we would have given a different answer.
Also it was a large commitment for me because I would be her driver and appointment keeper. I have a job and I am not about to quit it just overnight for this.
So we turned them down.
I told Heather I would pay for her to go to acting classes (which will be cheaper than through the talent agency) and then we will reapply in six months. She was disappointed but it was the best decision.
So for now we will just have to wait. If she has the ability like they said then it should be no problem!

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

A hard decison to make and I am sure that she was disappointed, but I think you made a very good call. It still sounds like a scam to me, the audition, the quick call back and especially the "pending doom' style of salesmanship, "you have to decide tonight because classes start tomorrow". As parents, we always want what is best for our children or to have opportunities that we did not, but sometimes you have to draw the line and look at the over all picture. Explain to her that if the agency was legitimate and thought she had that much potential, then they should have put her under contract, provided the training, and paid her. A call to the local Better Business Bureau to see if they have had any complaints about this agency may put your mind at ease. You made a good decision, for yourselves and for Heather.

real eyez said...

I do feel better about it now that I could sleep on it. I am glad we went the way we did because we just did not know enough information. My thought, like yours Stan was if they were so sure of her marketability then they would have let us join with out paying the upfront fee right away.
Oh well we have already started researching acting classes and since we are not spending a ton Hunter is going to take taekwondo lessons! Heather will be more dramatic and Hunter will beat stuff up more!