Thursday, January 17, 2008

So the kids are now enrolled in Prescott Elementary the home of the Panthers! I tried to find photos of the school online but was unable to. I will have to get some photos taken when I have batteries for my camera! The building has just went through getting a face lift for its 85th birthday and is absolutely beautiful!
So we met with the principal today and did our walk through of the entire school. I was amazed at the size of the school and its 400 children who attend. No one is allowed past the front doors with out checking in with security where you are given a color coded pass you wear around your neck. If you are not where you are supposed to be the cops are called. Communication is constant as each of the staff members carry radios in case of emergency.
Now saying it all like that makes it seem like the school has problems but actually it doesn't, these things were started to prevent any problems which may occur. I felt more comfortable knowing that my children were being watched carefully.
The school also has many hearing impaired children and I was told that at least one signer is present in many classes and the kids learn to sign many of their songs they sing for school.
There is also a before school program I will be signing the kids into where they go to school early (7:30) which works well for Heath and I since we both will be due to work by eight.
School starts at 9 and goes until 3:38 which was a little of a change!
The thing I thought was really neat is the Head start program is housed right there in the school! So all your kids would be in the same school until middle school, how neat it that!
Well I am going to go, I am being informed it is time for desert!

5 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

Now I can comment, I did not watch the final episode of Commanche Moon last night, poker night got in the way so I enjoyed a taped copy today so I could speed through the commercials. I am glad that it was on, however, I must condem CBS for the number of commercials that they ran. The long commercial breaks ran 9 to 12 commercials per break. As far as the movie, at first I was a little disappointed, however, by the final episode I started to enjoy it more and would rate it as good. However, to follow it you had to be a avid fan of Lonesome Dove to know all the characters. The great thing about Commanche Moon is that if filled in the gaps of what you were left wondering about in the other episodes. I think, perhaps, that the DVD of Commanche Moon will be different than what we saw on CBS, I cannot help but feel that it was cut and chopped to fit the schedule of the network and insertion of commercials. If anyone should happen to see it appear on the market For Sale, please let me know! Overall, very good if you were aware of all of the characters over the years. A good number of people felt that the actors were hard to get use to, however, one must remember that no one can ever fill the boots of Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall in their character roles. Anyone that ever tries to do this role will be compared to this duo.

Stan Harrington said...

opps, put my comment on the wrong posting. Now I can go back and read the new posting.

Stan Harrington said...

Sad state of affairs when you need security like that in our schools today, but I am also glad to hear that recognize the problem and are doing some preventive maintenance. How far is the school and what do the kids do after school to get home? Look at your school paperwork and see who the Superintendent is. If the name is Dr. Roy Baker, they are related to them, as he is my cousin and we are about the same age. If he is, don't let the kids know or they may try to use it to their advantage over the teachers and principal.

Stan Harrington said...

Paul Canney is suppose to be a real good Principal. Don't forget, the kids do not have school on Monday, January 21st. Go Pantheres! Why is it a Black Panther? Dr. Roy Baker is the Superintendent in the Firth, Nebraska School District, 14.73 miles from Lincoln. The Super for Lincoln County School District makes $228,000 a year plus a $15,000 incentive bonus for job performance. I love the internet, you can find out so very much!

real eyez said...

You know I love the internet unless it comes to not finding what I am looking for! I still can not find a picture of the school! How frustrating!
Anyways the school is about 4 blocks away (it feels like more) and is quite a walk for even the hardiest Alaskan child! I was a little puzzled when they said the school does not provide buses for any of their children! They can however ride the city buses. NO THANK YOU!
Another interesting fact about the school: It has no parking lot! The teachers park along the roadside in the neighborhood! Very weird!
As for the super intendant it is a girl but I forget her name. I can see both of my kids using that to their advantage!
I agree with you on the amount of commercials! The first two episodes were TIVO'd due to Grandma watching her Wrestling and when we watched them we just fast forwarded the commercials. The final episode though was ALL commercials!
I was happy though since I never read any of the books it was nice to have some faces to references made in the other movies.
Heath pointed out a few mistakes here and there which someone like would never had noticed!