Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Comanche Moon

The summer I met Heath he would sit and tie flies to this boring old western. Over and over he watched this movie and just when I would think it would end he would rewind and start again. I started watching it on my long visits at the tackle shop and soon found myself getting drawn into the story but never fully appreciating it due to the fact that I had never watched it straight through. I went and rented the movie and sat down one evening and watched it. I was surprised by two things. The first was how long the movie was and the second, that it didn't matter. I was drawn into the story.
Now many years later we have watched every part of the series and tonight we have just finished Comanche Moon. What an excellent job they did on capturing the original actors! I was also impressed with accuracy in which they portrayed my supposed ancestors and find it a little amusing that Blue Duck could have been closer to our camp than any us had ever known! I will have to research if Blue Duck is an actual Comanche and if he is in fact the uncle of Quanah Parker! I have not come across the name but I am usually researching from Quanah down so I could have missed him all these years.
With the beginning of the series my interest of finally solving the mystery of my ancestry was once again stirred. I was told that my father was a descendant of Quanah Parker due his mother Cynthia Ann Parker who was taken by the Comanches at a young age. There has been no proof on this due to poor records. I have tried for years to research this but had very little to go on except my Grandfather's name and the date he died. Over the last year I have found the date he was born and where he was born but have been able to little more.
So as the series comes to a close I find it very fitting that I also bring to a close my search for my ancestors. Today I stumbled, completely by accident, on a site and found not only my grandfather but his parents and his parent's parents. I was able to determine that until his grandfather there was no connection what so ever with the Comanches or the Parker family. However, his Grandmother was called Eliza and was listed with no last name. On all the records I could find of her, there is no last name listed. What I determine at this time is one of two things will come of a little more research. One, she will be one of Quanah Parker's many children who married a white man or two she will not be and there is no tie between the Comanches and my ancestors. Either way I am glad to finally put some history to my father's side of the family and even IF she was Indian there has been to many generations for it to matter to any Indian registries.
I just hope my family will forgive me, for they all believe us to be descendants of Quanah Parker the Last Great Chief.

6 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

Keep doing your research, you will find that it grows on you as you unlock a few keys and start seeing the larger picture. I have spent eight years and find it is still enjoyable and every little new discovery I make is exciting. Like the trip we made into Nebraska this last fall, what we discovered in Benedict and Silver Creek was likely the highlight of our trip. I do not know who was more excited, Terry or I. Seeing he burial plot of my grandparents was a very special, even though I never met them, it was like a bonding as I touched their headstones. As far as your research on Blue Duck, I think you will find a dead end, I have researched it in he past and found nothing other than it was a name of an Indian in the Lomesome Dove series. I biggest regret is that I did not take an interest in my hertitage until after my parents passed away, it would have made things so much easier in unlocking some of the secrets of the past. Good luck on your search.

Stan Harrington said...

P.S. You can tie, 125 Egg Sucking Leeches during the palying of Lonesome Dove.

real eyez said...

I am getting what you mean about the pleasure of researching my past. Before it was about proving a link or connection with the Comanches. While I wont claim that I am not slightly disappointed in the possibility of disproving that, I am also very excited. I have not always been fond of my maiden name and for years had thought that it went no further than my Grandfather. I don't know why but to know where I cam from, like you said, even if I didn't know them, is a wonderful feeling.
Now on to finding something about Parker Co TX. Is it just a coincidence that my relatives lived in a town named after the uncle of Cynthia Ann Parker, the mother of Quanah?

Princess Sarah said...

Very interesting stuff. your family better not get mad at the truth. I hope you find more out. Its actually making me want to research my family tree

real eyez said...

I hope not either. I hope they except that even if it is not what they had been told at least now we have answers!
Good to see you still read blogs! Now I am headed to your myspace blog!

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your realeyezhnr.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://magic-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://magic-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend Jennifer