Monday, January 07, 2008

New Job

SO I have been offered a job with Verizon Wireless as a customer service representative. It starts at 13.00 and hour with a 6% bonus each year. It comes with full benefits for the family, paid vacations, 401K and 8,000 in tuition each year! I also get to use the on site gym and personal trainer! I know that is a petty thing but it is a nice perk! I have been going through the long hiring process which has gone smoothly until now. The process is very similar to the military, NO JOKE! I guess as part of the background check they have to get a hold of past employers to verify work (Stan this means you to!) well unfortunately Deep Creek is seasonal and they are not open so they are unable to verify! Great. I am sure we will figure it out!
So I am supposed to start training soon and after I complete that I will have to go onto to further training, each time going up in pay. One girl that my uncle knows has been there one year and she is already at 16 an hour. I could go for that.
We will see what happens! Keep your fingers crossed!
Heath is doing good but bored! He has been watching LOTS of football with my uncle and helping him with his cleaning business. My family is intent on showing him the sights and all the hunting and fishing areas which to our surprise, is many! He researched it long before we moved but it is so much more than you can find on some website.
The kids are doing great. They are both doing very well in school, we have decided to keep homeschooling them until we know for sure what school they will be going to. I do not want them to get used to one school just to pull them out and put them in another. Sissy has been doing amazing with all her work and even now does two lessons a day by choice! I was hesitant at first not sure if she was getting all the information but she just passed her chapter test with flying colors so I guess she is.
Butch still struggles. He knows the material he just doesn't want to sit still. Heath works with him because he can better control him! He has taught us a few things though. While working with him his lesson manual will tell us ways to present the lesson and information you don't have to do it that way but it is supposedly the easiest way for the student to learn the lesson. Well he is constantly showing us new ways to learn! Math especially. He has an amazing ability to figure out complex problems using his own methods I just wish he had more attention span but I guess that will come with age!
The weather the last few days has been amazing! Yesterday morning I sat on the porch drinking my coffee and enjoyed a cigarette and did not need a jacket! The slight breeze there was was refreshing! When I say porch it is so funny the difference between porches here and porches (decks) in Alaska. The porches here are huge and you will either find a hammock, porch swing or chairs on all of them. I guess back in the day before TV, homeowners would sit on the front porch in the heat of the day when the inside of the house was too hot and visit with their neighbors. Just a subtle difference that I had noticed. One among many others!
Oh yeah and when you go out to eat a cheeseburger with fries and a drink at a restaurant (NOT McDonalds) will cost you about $4.00! The food here is so cheap! A nice dinner for one will cost about $8! The only things that are the same price as in Alaska is gas and milk! Which is pretty funny because there is A LOT of cows you think it would be cheap but they are meat cows not dairy. Let me tell you if the wind switches just the right way the smell of cow manure floats in the breeze and when you protest everyone will tell you it is the smell of money! Yeah right.
Well I have rambled enough! the kids send their love! They now have their own myspace so they have decided that grandpa and grandma need to get one now!

5 comments:

Princess Sarah said...

Hey there, miss you and have fun with the job

Stan Harrington said...

Thanks for the newsy posting. Your job sounds good. Do you get a free phone? I can attest to the fact whent the wind switches in Nebraska, you get a great array of aromas and smells. Glad to hear the kids are keeping up with their school work. Heather loves to learn, she is a natural student. Hunter also enjoys learning things, but he does it in his own way and his own interests. Don't knock out $9.00 hamburgers, I had one the other day and even got two slivers of pickle and some brown lettuce.

real eyez said...

Brown lettuce...hey I remember that! Do not even get me started on fresh veggies! They do not even know what "going bad" means! I just know when we come back to Alaska we are going to do a bunch of griping about prices and availability of produce!
Yet you guys have mountains and fresh fish! I guess it is a fair trade! Higher prices better view!

Stan Harrington said...

Just thought of all of you when I just heard that there was 37 tornadoes that went through the midwest yesterday - I turned to the tv just in time to see where they were at, south and east of Nebraska. Really unusal to have tornadoes in the winter - we just call them blizzards.

real eyez said...

Yeah we heard about them tonight! I guess they were pretty bad! The very unusual weather might have something to do with it though! Again the temps today were above average and the smell in the air leads one to believe that spring is just around the corner! Let's just say its not all roses but I guess you need a little fertilizer to get the spring flowers!