Friday, February 12, 2010

Too much coffee and Facebook

I am finding that I am enjoying my early mornings and there has to be something said about having the entire house to myself, even the cat does not bother me!
My routine has been dishes, mocha and then computer time till the kids get up.
While doing my dishes I started thinking about a question that Glenn Beck recently asked Sarah Palin. "Do you think we as a nation are still racists?"
I would like to broaden that question a bit more.
"Do you think we as a nation are still prejudice?

I would like to feel in my heart that we are not a racist or prejudice society but I know we are still influenced by race and gender.
Let me first say that yes we have gotten better and when I say racist I do not mean the rebel flag carrying group in sheets, I mean it as whole nation. When I say racists please know I mean anyone who mentions race as an important part of one's accomplishments. Same can be said for anyone who makes a point of or brings importance to a person's gender in relevance to their achievements.
In 1848, 68 women and 32 men signed the Declaration of Sentiments which would be the official start to the Woman's Rights Movement.
"Woman's suffrage is the right for women to vote, and historically includes the economical and political reform movement aimed at extending suffrage to women, on an equal basis to those men and without any restrictions or qualifications such as property ownership, taxes paid or marital status."
This is the Wikipedia definition of Women's suffrage. One section I feel is plained down and overall communicates the true definition "...aimed at extending suffrage to women on an equal basis with those men..."
What I take that to mean is that we will be equal as men and women, one is not greater than the other. Any women who wants to honestly see an equal nation believes in this line and they are called a feminist on the other hand the extreme feminist can be labeled fairly a feminazi. Do I think I am a feminist? I would say yes. I believe that we are equal and while physically I can not do all the things a man can do I know there are things I can do that a man can not. I also believe in a properly functioning family unit is where you will really see the best example of equality. It is no longer a "woman's job" or a "man's chore" but a family's responsibility. You will often find these days both parents are work it is not left to one or the other at home.
While we have worked towards making our country less gender biased I feel we have gone to the other extreme. Now we see women getting special privileges in the workforce and the home to the point of almost discriminating against men. I know this sounds weird but think about it. How many changes have you seen over just the last ten years leaning more towards women than men?
I am just wondering how far women will take it?
Will men soon have to go to the streets to rally for their rights?

Now women please do not get me wrong I do believe in women being strong and standing for our rights but I feel if we recognize gender, or race for that matter when it comes to jobs, the home and the government we are following the same ol biased path and it will lead us no where.
Stan posted "behind every successful man you will find a women" and I want to take that a little further in saying that also behind every successful women you will find a man.
This does not mean that a women must have a man to be successful but I truly believe that the values we teach our children help shape who they are going to be and who has more influence on a little girl than her daddy? The point is after all this rambling is that in this enlightened day and age we should no longer be making comments that point out one's gender or race because doing so would be like pointing out they have five toes. It is not important and who cares! Lets talk about the accomplishments made in History not whether they were made by a man or a women or black or white. Let's learn from such History the importance of equality and forgiveness.





1 comment:

Stan Harrington said...

Well written and a discussion that will continue through the end of the time. Although, each of us may feel that we are not prejudicial, however in our inner core we are. Is it being prejudice or is it likes and dislikes. When dealings with humans, there are those you do not feel comfortable being around, is that showing that you are prejudice. I prefer the word "tolerant". I have witnessed prejudicism my entire life, one race vs another, male Vs female. The community I lived in Colorado was divided by the train tracks. South side were the Mexicans and on the north, the white Anglo Saxton Protestants. My first girlfriend (1st Grade) was a Mexican, my brothers teased me unmercifully because "I loved a greaser". So, in my semi-adult life, I married one. I proved them right, "I loved a greaser" but I also proved that I was not being prejudicial.