Saturday, February 20, 2010


So we are headed into another forecast of a snowy weekend and I am watching the state warnings and thankful that I am not driving anywhere! Seems of late that all we are seeing is one day of thaw and then several days of snow and it makes it hard to believe that soon there might be some green poking through the twice frozen poop soup in my back yard.

I was going through my pictures again trying to consolidate some of them and make them easier to manage (this has been a goal since I began taking pictures but I have never really accomplished it. Recently though I have managed to get them on one external hard drive now I just need to clean them up further.)

When I came upon this picture I first saw Hunter out numbered, gripping for his life, being drug to some unknown torture by his girl cousins. I remember the day this was taken and it was a good day. I know that despite the deceptive looks on the kid's faces they are all really enjoying them selves, even Hunter!
After staring at this picture I was reminded of a conversation I had a few days ago about the grand kids returning to the pit and how neat it would be. Then the full reality hit me.
This pit was built for our family but did any really know the impact this place would have on our family? A place was created that our kids and their kids could call home and always have something in common and something to come home to no matter how far they roam. This last year we saw the oldest bear cub leave home and we face the girlie Buffie leaving home soon as well and we are faced with them growing up despite our best efforts . We will start to see them dating guys we don't like and maybe a few we do, we will see their hearts break and spirits fly and we will watch them create families of their own. All I can hope for is that they to will bring their families back to the pit and they will have pictures like this to share.

*The girls in this picture are now much taller and much more grown up and the boy, well he still screams when his girl cousins gang up on him but even he has gotten a bit taller!
Here is a toast to many more memorable memories with this family that is growing even as you read this!

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

You have had more snow than we have this winter. I would guess our total snowfall has been between 20 -24 inches total. Now, the river even looks like it is wanting to break with this arm spell. You pretty much grasped the reason that the HITW was developed. I can vision my grandchildren telling their children the stories about the early days of the HITW and what they did as kids. I would hope that my own children will be there to enjoy their grandchildren as we have.

Stan Harrington said...

Looking at that picture again, Hunter is loving the attention he is getting from his cousins.