Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Our Cat
I can still remember the night as we drove in our over packed rental car through a state we had never been, the feeling of adventure with an undertone a fear.  This was our first time away from home and each mile that we drove east put us even further from our family.  
As we drove through Montana the day had been a beautiful winter wonderland full with moderate temps and rock walls jutting out of the mountain side.  As we continued to drive the temps dropped with the sun and we headed into the night having to stop every once in a while to take potty breaks and smoke since the rental car was non smoking.  At one stop I went in to go potty and when I came out Heath had the door open and the car running urging me to get in the car.  Over the rumble of the sleeping semis I heard a faint meowing.  There she was crouching down hiding in the shadows of the dark pavement.  A skinny Siamese.  We loaded her up in our already packed car and headed on our way.  I know now that my husband heard the cries from the cat and knew I would too and knew what I would do, which is why I was met with a open door.  I do not hold this against him as he has always had to have his guard up against me bringing home strays especially when we are in a rental car headed to the unknown with only the totes on the roof to our name.  This cat must have known what I would do as well because she asked the right person that night.  I will never forget the way she attacked her first can of food or how skinny she was, I honestly believe she would not have made it much longer as she had no claws and the temps were very low.  
Montana
Monty
Montavious
Since then she has recovered is now a fat cat that has unfortunately never quite lost the fear of being outdoors.  She had for awhile taken to hiding behind chairs but of late has taken to sitting on the arm of Heath's chair, I think she is saving it for Stan.  She has begun to trust us after only a few short years and now roams the house as if it is her.  Christmas really seemed to bring back the kitten in her and since then she has been more frisky!
Here is to our od luck charm Monty!
You may all meet her this summer as I think she got a little attached to Stan and while Mama cat and her would not get along they would eventually learn to stay in certain parts of te home say an office?
 

 

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

Monty is a fine cat, as is the personality of all cats, is very independent. But Monty went through a lot trying to survive until you guys came to the rescue. No doubt,it has taken time for Monty to reestablish trust. Not sure what effect a airline trip, kennel, and noise would have. At airports when I see animals going into the baggage area, I wonder what happens to them and what traumatic feelings they have in the cold cargo bay of that airplane. It has to be spooky for them. He did like to take naps on the arm of the chair.

john r mclay said...

I think the office is a great idea! Lord knows AP could always use another cat.