Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Spring & Renewal

I am a big fan of Febreeze and when they came out with their air effects I was even happier. I like buying my scents according the holidays for example for Christmas we used ginger bread and fresh baked cookies smell sprays. Now that we have spring cleaned and the house is spotless I figures why not use the new spring collection.
I bought linen & sky and spring & renewal. They both smell amazing and fresh without being over powering like the air fresheners of days past that choked you out of the room recently sprayed.
As I sat this morning reading the back of the spray can (I won't mention where ;)) I started to think about the smells they have canned. The first smell linen & sky I could see them being able to bottle the sky but how do bottle renewal?
I went to the ingredients to see what the mixture was for renewal finding odor eliminator, water, fragrance, non-flammable natural propellant, quality control ingredients, no CFC's and no phosphates.
So that is chemical make up of renewal.
On to other, more important news.
I80 claimed several Nebraskan's lives over the last few days and many accidents including a 35 car pile up outside of Lincoln and a 14 car pile up near the Homestead National Monument on HWY 4 were the resilt of blowing snow and winds. Drivers not driving for the winter road conditions are also contributing factors and that low visibility and black ice have sent cars into the ditches and onto their tops. Unfortunately for a few Nebraskan's the roads conditions claimed their lives which prompted state officials to close I80. The cold temps in Lincoln are staying right about the low twenties during the days and dropping even lower at night but with the wind it feels like below zero.
Question?
How do you repair hundred year old sheet rock?
Well first you have to go online and figure out what kind of material was used. About the time our house was built (we were told the house was built in 1915) there were several types of ways to cover the walls and after working this summer with sheet rock I am glad times have changed! After reading few articles I found one I think properly describes my house so I am guessing I have lime plaster placed on wood lath. This is makes since below the windows that had air conditioners in them have water damage and after close examination the only thing keeping the plaster together anymore is the thin piece of wall paper. Lime does not handle water well. We learned another interesting thing while looking into the wall, we have no insulation! It is just an open space between the outside wall and the inside wall and when a chunk of the plaster fell we realized why our room is so cold on windy days!
I am thinking of just getting some mud and slapping it on the hole as this is not my house and I am afraid to put too much money into it and if we start to repair this then we would have to start a project I am not sure we should. As a side note the water damage was not from us. They used to keep the air conditioners in the window year round and during the winter with ice and snow its not a good idea. This winter we took them out!
Well it is time to wake the kids up and ready for school.
Question of the day.
Will Lincoln Nebraska still be colder than Alaska?

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

No doubt you have lathe and plaster, especially in the ceilings. I do not think there is a "fix it all" for these older homes. Likely, you would be ahead of the game by tearing everything out, insulate and sheet rock. but, like you say, not your house and it would be expensive. When that house was built, insulation was not invented. As a kid in Colorado, I remember seeing houses insulated with newspapers and even straw. Better than nothing for insulation but not really fire retardant.

real eyez said...

Heath and I were discussing it and to theoretically it would be better to start from scratch and tear the walls down to bare wood. We also discussed the amount of SURPRISES we would find in a hundred year old house!