Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Key, Like Kilo



What a character.
The first time I met Key he was wearing only a bath rob that read Huge Heffner over the left breast pocket. This is not too abnormal except he was standing in the middle of the Tackle Shop.
There would be many stories told when he would randomly show up dogs in tow.
You knew Key was in town when you could hear his diesel engine rev or the tap tap of him shooting at nothing on his property.
He was a nice enough guy even if he was a bit rough around the edges.
I remember a particular story that still brings a smile to my face.
One day while I was working at Ulmer's Key, Tom and few other guys came filing through the check out. They were very excited as they were going on a fishing trip to the Kvichak River. The place rang a bell as Heath had talked about it before. I chatted with the guys as I rang them up and bagged their purchases, teasing Tom and Key, telling them to not tell my husband as he would be jealous they were going.
A little while later I got a call from Tom telling me they had an extra seat if Heath wanted to go but they were leaving in an hour.
At the time Heath had no cell phone so I had to drive all the way home pick him up and have him back in Anchor Point in less than an hour. Needless to say he made it.
I can still remember my husband's face as I told him that they wanted him to go and it is still a trip my husband talks about often and we still don't know how a seat suddenly opened but Heath was thankful regardless!
The stories Key told were some of the most interesting stories I have ever heard and yes some were a bit disturbing but you could never really know if they were true or not.
One such story he told was of his original reason for coming to Alaska many years back and until we saw the framed and signed mugshot of Steve McQueen, we thought it was another tall tale. There in that picture frame was Steve McQueen and it was your typical mug shot but it meant something more than that to me. It brought up the possibility that some of his stories were true even if they were a bit far fetched.
Last night while Heath was looking on information on Key's property he came across an article about Key and while it was short it added more to the mysterious guy in his bath robe who enjoyed his guns.

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

That is a neat article, I have no doubt some of his stories were embellished, but that is all right to. He was a colorful character. He played poker with us one night when we first started the poker tournaments. Don't remember the hand but I took him out in a "All In" call, he got up and said "I did not expect that you could play" and walked out the door. the only time he ever played with us.

real eyez said...

lol!