Monday, March 31, 2008

So four o clock this morning I awoke suddenly not quite sure why at first but then seconds later I heard what woke me up.
A bright flash lit up our bedroom window and then was followed shortly afterward by a huge boom. I realized I was getting a chance to sit through a real thunder and lighting storm! Since it was four in the morning I resisted the urge to wake the kids up and sat instead with Shadow, Hunter's cat, and watched the show. He seemed just as mesmerized as I in the fantastic light show and only a little nervous by the rolling thunder that seemed to go on forever.
Laying at the foot of my bed I closed my eyes and enjoyed the sounds. The rain hitting the roof and then the sound of thunder rolling through the sky above me. These were the sounds I had missed since living in Alaska granted, we had some lightning storms and I have heard some thunder but not like this!
Living here as a kid this was one of my favorite sounds. The other is the sounds the crickets make at night. Those two sounds can have me asleep before to long.
So now I will have to wait and hopefully the kids can hear it next time!
Well it is off to work shortly for me!

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

I to enjoy the the thunder storms of the lower 48, the roll of the thunder and lightning streaking across the sky, much better than the man made firework displays. You should be able to get some great lightning pictures.

Stan Harrington said...

Good to talk to Heath today, I am envious of your spring weather, we still haver a lot of snow covering the lawn, but it is finally starting to melt down. It was good to hear that the cranes and geese are starting to come north, I want to try to get some shots of both species this year. Talk with all of you later.