Thursday, October 25, 2007

Who would of thought...me...BOWLING?

"Even though bowling has been the object of satire in such movies as Kingpin and the Big Lebowski it is certainly a genuine sport. And, believe it or not, it may be one of the oldest sports in the history of the world. Over 100 million people in more than 90 countries practice the game, making it one of the most popular and universally loved forms of recreation on the planet. It has been the game of kings (literally), and the startling facts behind the origins of bowling may surprise even the most dedicated kingpin.

In the 1930’s, British Anthropologist Sir Flinders Petrie became the first to discover evidence of a bowling-like game. He found ancient objects in a child’s grave in Egypt that were allegedly used for a primitive form of the game. The artifacts have been dated back to 3200 BC, effectively making bowling over 5,000 years old! Although some critics put the birth of bowling much later (German historian William Pehle has said that the game originated in his country in 300 AD), it has certainly endured centuries to settle into the modern lanes that we all know and love today."


When I think of bowling I think of polyester shirts and funny smelling shoes. I picture old men and women picking up brightly colored bowling balls surrounded by plastic chairs from the 60's. They would have their quirky league names embroidered on their shirts and ball bags (I almost wrote sacks!).

What I saw tonight was a group of women getting away for a few hours giving each other high fives for the strikes and suggestions for the gutter balls. Some of them brought their children who also were caught bowling in a lane of their own while others enjoyed a few beers.
They all knew each other and a fun time was had by all. My change of opinion on bowling was not the only thing that shocked me. Was this bowling alley the last place on Earth where you could sit back and enjoy a cigarette in doors? I did not argue this because when it comes to the cold I am a big puss but it did give me something to chat about while I sat and smoked, inside. The owner, also a smoker, talked about how he feels the pressure from the anti smoking movement and how this was the only smoking league that he had. Every other night of the week the building is non smoking as a courtesy to his non smoking leagues.
As I sat there enjoying a cigarette under the big noisy fan that was sucking the rising smoke out and I wondered to myself how long till this place falls to the smoking ban? I do not know but I enjoyed that cigarette as if it were my last!

The kids did enjoy themselves and only got a little bored but the quickly made friends with the other kids. The laptop was brought out and I even found a wireless signal so the kids could watch a movie. It really amazed me that they soon lost interest in the movie and were zoning in on the action. The owner (who is also related to me...we figured that one out near the end of the night) even allowed the kids to bowl in the far lane if they were respectful to the league bowlers. Well it was hard for them but they managed. Butch walked alway the victor with twice the score of his sister and the other boy and even with Mommy's poor play! Lets just say I am grateful for those damn gutter bumpers but EVERYONE had a good laugh so it was all good.

Sissy has decided that she now wants a bowling ball and Butch wants to learn how to shoot pool and could care less that he scored better than most adults! We will see if they have the same enthusiasm next week when we go back! Oh got to see Dawn tonight, she also bowls but on a different team than my mom. She said HI! the minute I walked in. When it was almost time to go the kids came running over yelling "Mom, Mom, Joey's mommy is here!" Oh really?!l;)

Well we are winning the war against pink eye and the house feels less like a place of plague although my kids have never washed their hands so much in their lives! I still continue to wash the bed linens every morning in the hope that it will not spread to anyone else. X . That's my fingers crossed! Butch has to still flush his eyes with saline solution which he has to be pinned down unless it is Larry doing it (I guess he does not trust us girls). Sissy stands in the background giving orders and lecturing her brother about why he has to do it. I do not think it helps but she feels useful so we let her.

The kids are officially enrolled in Home school today and it couldn't have been sooner for Sissy and could have been longer for Butch. The school gives you everything you need with detailed lesson plans and PLENTY of help. Each kids gets a budget of $1,600 and each of their "kits" (I have been calling them school in a box or insta school) cost $900 so I now have some left over to buy school related materials. What they consider school related is books at the book store, Scholastic book orders, science experience, arts and crafts and other school supplies. I do not think we will run over our budget but taking Sissy to the book store would be nice because she has ran out of everything to read and is now reading her dictionary.
We worked on some of our lessons today and I really like to way they set up the manuals for me to use. They give you several different ways to teach and if they don't work they have web sites. Both kids did well and what is really nice I can customize their curriculum to their specific levels. Give me a couple of weeks though and ask me how the kids are enjoying Mommy as their teacher! Butch has never had a teacher put him in the corner before!
Well that is it time for bed I have school to teach in the morning.
If Daddy is reading this the kids miss you lots and Koda is such a baby! He drug his pallet away from his kennel this morning and woke everyone up at six because he couldn't get into his bed! My mom laughed because she has never heard such a mean looking dog make such a baby bark. He is enjoying his nightly walks and has to stop and pee every two feet. The cats enjoy their days in what I am calling a cat ZOO and get brought in and put in their kennels at night. Stone loves it but Shadow is NOT impressed and the Rooster still crows every morning.
I will post pictures soon!

4 comments:

Princess Sarah said...

glad to hear all is going well. I sure do miss you! I feel so sad, I lost one of my best friends. I sure do hope homeschooling stays good for you! Keep your chin up..Hey great to hear about the bowling and all. I like to bowl, I am not as good as Travis but its nice competition. Love ya soooooo much sweety

john r mclay said...

Our old chicken coop had a light and timer. We knew the cock would crow at 6 AM. Has Butch tried to catch the rooster, yet?

real eyez said...

Hasn't tried to catch it but the cats keep asking to get out so they can. Butch has come up with several ingenious ways to shoot him though!

real eyez said...

It kind of reminds me of the coyote
and all the ways he comes up with the get that bird...do I sense another story coming????