Thursday, April 08, 2010

Feeling a bit down? How about upside down?

This issue was brought to my attention today as I looked at a few sites I support.
Groups who are against our current administrations decisions and policies are choosing to add pictures to their profiles depicting the US flag flown upside down.
Without looking up the actual causes that excuses hanging our country's flag upside down, I would have said that it was if you were in distress.
I then went on to look up the rules and regulations as to the proper display techniques for our nation's flag.
I do not agree that we as a country are at the point of hanging our flag upside down and to do so shows disrespect for the ones who have fought for what that flag stands for.
Some will argue that it is their right to express their dismay and displeasure with our current government officials by hanging this flag in the distress status.
What are you thoughts?


4 comments:

ChoLow said...

If I could honestly say so, I am not political. If I had a random flag inside my own house, it would probably be hung upside down, now the 'other' {name not mentioned} who is quite political, would say NO... but I like the opposite. I like the anger and frustration it would bring. Do I know enough about politics to make such a stand? Nah, probably not. But, *shrug* those are my thoughts.

Stan Harrington said...

A lot of people confuse the right to freedom of speech as showing disrespect to the flag, by burning it, flying it upside down, stomping on it, etc. The Flag is the symbol giving them the right to freedom of speech, so why would you disrespect it. Our flag is our history, it is like a book, it tells a story of our history. I see a citizen of your country disrespecting our flag, I look at them with the same anger as I look at some radical terrorists or enemy of our state burning our flag. They do not deserve the opportunities and privileges that the symbol provides.

john r mclay said...

the way a lot of people exaggerate events and take things in an extreme way, i can understand how some feel an extreme danger to life and property. i would not tote it upside down at this point. maybe it has to do with the warming globe and our impending doom of CO2 poisoning.

real eyez said...

There you go!