Friday, May 02, 2008


Stone
5-2-08

If it should be....
If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do what must be done,
for we know this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
but don't let grief then stay your hand,
for this day, more than the rest,
your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had a great and happy year,
what is to come can hold no fear.
Would you want me to suffer? So,
when the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
only stay with me until the end,
and hold me firm and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

It is a kindness that you do to me,
although my tail it's last has waved,
from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve, it should be you,
who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two this year,
Don't let your heart hold any a tear.

Author unknown


We lost Stone tonight.

5 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

So sorry to hear that Heather lost Stone, it must be devastating to her as he traveled from Alaska with her and every conversation we have had onthe phone, she has always talked about Stone and asked about Mama Cat. Give her a hug for me and let her know we are thinking of her. Your poem seays it all.

Golden Granny said...

I am so sorry about Stone. It seems poor little Heather has faced more trageties with her kitties than any little girl should have to bare. He was a beautiful cat - so very sad but I can understand why you had to do what you did. My love to all of you and especially Heather.

Heidi said...

I am sorry to hear, he was a cool cat. What happened?

real eyez said...

He had a blockage in his urethra so he was unable to pee. When we took him in his bladder was the size of an orange and he was in a lot of pain. We had the option to put a catheter in and put him on an IV until morning and then take him to a regular Vet who would flush his system and more and then it was not even sure if he would pull through. The estimated cost was over 1500 and that was if everything went well and no payment options. We went in thinking he was just constipated and it was no big deal we were not prepared for putting him to sleep. I took Heather along because he was her cat and now I both regret and am grateful for her being there. On one hand it was rough for her to actually hear the news we had to put him to sleep and then on the other it was nice for her to at least say goodbye. The poor girl has such a big heart and has had the worst luck with kitties.

Heidi said...

Sorry to hear that, we had to do something similar, a long time ago with a puppy (Moe). HE ate a Barbie, and we couldn't afford to take it out, and it wasn't going to pass. The girls were with me at the Vet's , horrible day.