Wednesday, May 07, 2008

So the keys to the new house have finally been delivered...now we (and I mostly mean Heath)are getting it ready to live in. Now I can not claim ignorance as to the amount of work needed to get the house ready to move in I just think I didn't realize the FULL extent!
We got the keys on Sunday and after a run to the store for cleaning supplies we started cleaning. That was after we removed the current tenants! A couple of squirrels had moved in and were less than happy when we showed up! Hunter is now afraid of squirrels!
The house is actually very beautiful it just has been neglected over the last few years. The first chores were removing all spiderwebs (YUCK!) spraying bug killer, ripping down old wall paper, cleaning up dead birds(4) and emptying a 50 gallon trash can full of water and ?, that was placed under a leak in the upstairs master bedroom. After the can had been empty there was several skeletons on the bottom! The roof in that room has a bad leak and all the sheet rock and insulation (cotton) had to come down. That was not a fun job!
Heath has been working on the house over the last few days while I am at work and now he is at a standstill. We need the power, water and gas turned on. The gas company won't turn on the gas until the water company turns on the water which the landlord has to do. The electric company will not turn on the power until they come and inspect all the wiring to make sure the house meets code plus they need the home owner to schedule the appointment. We have been trying to get with the landlord over the last few days with no return call!
Also we can not sheet rock the master bedroom until the roofers come and repair the roof no point.
We still have to sand and paint all the walls, rip out the upstairs carpet, paint and do minor repairs all around the house! One bummer is the floors are all natural wood but have been covered with crappy carpet. It would be no big deal to pull the carpet but then we would have to sand the floors because they used glue to lay the carpets!
I can not wait to see what it will look like finished though and really can't wait to move in! The house lots of windows and even a sun room which I am seriously thinking of turning into an atrium! I also love the old wood that runs through the house and the glass doors in the house.

This the bottom part of the stairs in the front room. This will be our living room.


This is the sun room. This room has double glass doors which I love but Heath does not. Not sure how long they will last. The half bath is off this room.

This is the dining room the kitchen is off to the left.

Hunter and Heath in the living room.

The master bedroom's ceiling. Notice the mushrooms growing! Heath has since torn all this down and removed the rotten cotton insulation. Even with the rain last night it is starting to dry up. Right above the fan is the leak in the roof.
Well I have more pictures but I am tired. I will post more pictures on my next day off! I also have some courtesy of Heath of when him and the kids went to the Lincoln Zoo. He got some really good ones so I look forward to posting those!
Well goodnight all!

3 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

You do have your work cut out for you, I have not seena slat board ceiling in years, but I guess that is to be expected, I think you said it was built in 1915. That was a new house right after my dad was born just a few miles down the road from where it sits, he was born in 1913! I would take a guess that the floors that hide under the carpet and glue is likely oak. If you wanted to restore them to original shape, you can rent those big floor sandrs that you walk behind. A few passes with that should clean them up. Despit having a few chores to do up here, it would be fund to pack up my tools and and herad south, I could get into a house renovation. The sun room looks like a perfect place to ttake a nap. I was think of a green house, but then I remembered, you really do not need greenhouses in Nebraska - you can even grow tomatoes outside. Oh, I just had a concept! Remember those fruitless effort years that Heather and I tried to grow a waternelon up here. Why don't your guys spade up a little garden area in the backyard and let the kids plant some watermelon, canteloupe, and tomatoes - I bet they would enjoy that and they would actually grow! You could even grow your own sweet corn! Now, I am headed south for sure! Make sure you take a lot of before and after pictures, would enjoy seeing them and when it comes time for the landlord to reimburse you for expenses, it will stop any arguments. Have fun.

Princess Sarah said...

Oh gosh I am soo jealous of you the house looks gorgeous. I am sure it needs work and all but the pics you have posted, makes the house look wonderful. I cannot wait to see the zoo pics too! I think the ceiling and roof will be your biggest projects. Have fun! Oh Please post a pic of the door at the top of the stairs you told me about...Love ya

Stan Harrington said...

Where is Erica? Where is Heath? I bet you are all busy renovating. Have fun, wish we could help, except hanging sheetrock.