Monday, September 11, 2006


Well it is hard to wake up today and not hear and see the lasting effects of 9/11. The stories of people who lives were forever changed on this day five years ago are playing on the radio and the T.V. I am drawn back to that day along with them. I remember waking that morning by my father-in-law calling to say that we were being bombed. Panic had me out of bed and searching the T.V. for any news that was about what was going on. That was not difficult. Even chanels that we had not paid for were coming in so they could broadcast to everyone. I found the news and the devastating image of the first tower. No, we were not being bombed, I remeber thinking, but pretty damn close. I woke my little girl up and as a family we watched the second tower get hit and cried as they both fell. All that day we were glued to the radio in our store and we listened to all the horror, hoping. I am not sure really what I was hoping for, but as the body count and destruction was being reveled over the radio, I knew our country was changed. Now I do not claim to be the most patriotic, but I have always recognized the sacrifices that have been made so I can enjoy my freedom. This life isn't free. Someone has spilled their blood for me. A wife has given me her husband's life, a mother has given me her son's or daughter's. The next day I felt my pride in my country grow as I tried to unsucessfully find a flag in our little town-there were none to be found. Every person had one flying from their home and sticker's on their cars. This terrible act woke our country up and united us, if even for a short while. Now five years later I have this sickening feeling that most who were not affected directly by this tragedy have forgotten. I honestly don't think I could ever forget...

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

An outstanding blog, you described the feelings perfectly and the lessons that we did or did not learn from 9/11. At times I wonder, if those feelings that we all had on 9/11 had remainded with us for the past five years - we would be much closer to winning the war on terrorism. Callous on my part, but the attackers do not have the same rights as you and I. They are not citizens of the U.S. and they are not a recognized military unit, therefopre they should not be granted any rights under the Geneva Convention. Off my soap box, but you did some great writing.

Princess Sarah said...

I will always remember, good post nice to see your blogging again. I can still remember vividly what I was doing 5 years ago.