Friday, February 06, 2009

Tonight our car quit on us.
We were on our way out of town to Beatrice when we noticed the car loosing power. Heath gave the car one last engine rev and as we crested a small hill and turned onto a side road the car's engine quit. It has blown two cylinders.
I write this and I think logically I should be angry or upset that the car has died but I am not.
I feel like that little car has served us well.
I bought it with almost 200 thousand miles on it but did not know about the oil leak until later. We tried to find the leak but we couldn't we could just smell the oil burning off the engine if we were driving for awhile.
I will not mention the price tag but I will say this we had that car paid off by October, it barely used any gas and it got me and my family to Colorado and back.
Out of all the cars we have owned this little Mitsubishi will hold a soft spot in my heart. That car was our second stepping stone when we moved south it was our independence. I also didn't want a CAR but I had to shop within my budget and this little fit it.
Even in this car's last moments it made sure that we were not far from home and it gave just enough to get us off the highway safely.
We were able to call the tow truck thanks to roadside assistance and a friend was able to pick us up and take us home. We were only thirteen miles from Lincoln.
So tonight I was looking at engines. Oh yes. After researching it I found that the rebuilt engines for my car were fairly cheap,
why not get an engine for it and put it in?
It would be a fun project for maybe the entire family!
I mean we really can't make it worse!

3 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

Sorry to hear that your little car gave up, but over 200 thousand miles it lived a longer life than normal. Likely you could breathe new life into it with a new engine, but you also have to consider that other parts of the car also has the same miles, like the transmission. With the car market the way it is, you should find some good buys on relatively late model cars. Love to all.

real eyez said...

You and Heath think a like, seriously!
We are going to check a couple of things on the car today now that we have sunshine and warm tshirt weather. Hopefully the damage is not fatal!

john r mclay said...

If you were in Homer, I'm sure a bluff would be close enough to push it to...
They're probably right about rebuild vs. another vehicle. dammit. I bet your boy would LOVE to take it apart, though.